Among those present to watch 10 players work out indoors on AstroTurf were Miami defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni, Bengals tight ends coach Jonathan Hayes and Packers GM Ted Thompson. The Packers are in the process of converting their defense to a 3-4 and likely are interested in versatile Texas LB Brian Orakpo (6-3 3/8, 262 pounds).
Orakpo did not disappoint, posting a 10-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a time of 4.45 in the short shuttle and 7.26 in the three-cone drill. Orakpo held the rest of his numbers from the Combine.
Thompson would never tip his hand, but I think that Green Bay would probably be interested in someone like him for their new scheme. I know Thompson was impressed with Orakpo amd expressed surprise at how big his upper body is.
Of course, the Dolphins use a 3-4 as well and Pasqualoni seemed to like Orakpo too. I think the consenses on Orakpo is very positive. The one question mark on him is that he’s one of those guys that appears to play hard 90 percent of the time, but takes a vacation the other 10 percent. But when you’re a pass-rusher in 110-degree temperatures it’s hard to go full speeed all the time. The weather here in the south is detrimental because these players get tired from constantly rushing the passer in the heat and humidity.
Also noteworthy were the performances by WR Quan Cosby (5-9, 198 pounds) and RB Chris Ogbonnaya (5-11 7/8, 220 pounds), who both looked very good catching the ball from former Iowa and current CFL QB Drew Tait.
Ogbonnaya stood on his numbers from the combine, while Cosby posted a 34.5-inch vertical jump a 4.34 short shuttle, 28 bench press reps and stood on the rest of his numbers from the combine. Cosby is really smart. I had an opportunity to talk to him about the last drive vs. Ohio State in this year’s Fiesta Bowl. He was able to tell me the exact defenses that Ohio State used on that drive and how he adjusted his routes. Very impressive.
Other players who has noteworthy performances were:
DB Ryan Palmer (5-8 3/8, 187) ran a 4.62 and 4.58 in 40-yard dash, posted a 10-foot, 4-inch broad jump, a 4.20 short shuttle and a 7.00 three-cone drill. Palmer stood on the rest of his numbers from the combine.
OL Cedric Dockery (6-3 1/4, 314), brother of Redskins DB Derrick Dockery, ran a 5.40 in the 40-yard dash, but pulled his hamstring. Dockery posted a 28-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot, 4-inch broad jump, and a 4.97 short shuttle.
DT Roy Miller (6-1 5/8, 312) ran a 4.93 and a 4.94 in the 40-yard dash and stood on the rest of his numbers from the combine.
DE Henry Melton (6-3 1/2, 269) ran a 4.64 and 4.66 in the 40-yard dash, posted a 34.5-inch vertical jump and 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump.
DE Aaron Lewis (6-3 1/8, 277) ran a 5.01 and 5.05 in the 40-yard dash and posted a 30.5-inch vertical jump and and 8-foot, 11-inch broad jump.
Also working out was Joseph Davis (6-5 1/8, 211), a world-class long-jumper. In addition to catching passes in position drills, Davis ran a 4.67 and 4.68 in the 40-yard dash and posted a 36.5-inch vertical jump. His 10-foot, 10-inch broad jump was a little disappointing as he appeared to jump more up than out. I would say he has a long way to go. He’s an athlete with size, but he’s never really had any football experience. If you take a chance on somebody like this it’s one of those three-year type of deals.
The day ended in typical Texas fashion — with a buffet from Burt’s BBQ, which has got as good a BBQ as anybody in the country. Between the pro day performances and the food, everybody left very happy.Seahawks 12th Man Army has now gone mobile! Go to http://www.noticeorange.com/r/Seahawks12thManArmy to get an app for your phone. It's free and it has alerts so that you'll know whenever Seahawks 12th Man Army has anything new. What could be better?
Tags: Bench Press, Bengals, Blog Archive, Brian Orakpo, Broad Jump, Cfl, Coach Mack Brown, Consenses, Defensive coordinator, Degree Temperatures, head coach, Jonathan Hayes, Nfl Player, One Of Those Guys, Pass Rusher, Paul Pasqualoni, Quan Cosby, Question Mark, Tait, Ted Thompson, Vertical Jump
Fair Use Notice This website may at times present copyrighted material, the use of which might not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Such material is made available in an effort to advance understandings of democratic, economic, environmental, human rights, political, scientific, and social justice issues, among others. The author believes that this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the U. S. Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the articles published on this website are distributed without profit for research and informational purposes. In most instances a link is placed to originator of Article and it is never expressly mentioned as written by, we use published by certain entities who write or publish for this said Blog..