Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider touched on a few issues affecting the team during an interview Saturday at the NFL combine:
* Left tackle Walter Jones is contemplating retirement, but nothing is final and the Seahawks can afford to wait for him if the salary cap disappears, as expected, next month. Carroll expects to see Jones at the team's facility next week. He “ran into” Jones' agent at the combine Friday night.
* Receiver Nate Burleson will test free agency. The Seahawks would like to re-sign him.
* The decision to name kicker Olindo Mare a franchise player became easy after the Raiders signed kicker Sebastian Janikowski to a lucrative deal.
* The Seahawks would like a “physical presence” at running back, Carroll said. The comment wasn't a reflection of the running backs on Seattle's roster, he said. Carroll had strong praise for Justin Forsett.
* Carroll said this draft features “wonderful, extraordinary speed guys” at running back.
* Carroll heaped praise upon USC safety Taylor Mays while also acknowledging that he must work to keep in perspective his personal feelings for former players.
* The Seahawks are setting up their draft board using the method Schneider used in Green Bay, but the team did not change its grading scale for players because it wasn't practical, Schneider said.
* Carroll said he's loving life in the NFL. The combine allows for much more hands-on contact with players than is available through the college recruiting process, leaving Carroll much more confident in the evaluations the team is making.
Vice president of football operations Will Lewis, pro personnel director Tag Ribary and assistant director of pro personnel Trent Kirchner were working at an adjacent table in the hotel lobby where Carroll and Schneider were speaking with reporters. Lewis, Ribary, Kirchner and Schneider worked together for the Seahawks in 2000.
Tags: Apos S, coach pete carroll, Draft Board, Football Operations, Franchise Player, Grading Scale, John Schneider, Justin Forsett, Lucrative Deal, Nate Burleson, Olindo Mare, Personnel Director, Physical Presence, Salary Cap, Sebastian Janikowski, Walter Jones
Fair Use Notice This website may at times present copyrighted material, the use of which might not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Such material is made available in an effort to advance understandings of democratic, economic, environmental, human rights, political, scientific, and social justice issues, among others. The author believes that this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the U. S. Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the articles published on this website are distributed without profit for research and informational purposes. In most instances a link is placed to originator of Article and it is never expressly mentioned as written by, we use published by certain entities who write or publish for this said Blog..