But Seattles biggest news Monday was the subtraction of safety Deon Grant, who was released.
Grant, 31, was a three-year starter and defensive captain for Seattle after signing one of the largest contracts ever for an NFL safety in 2007. Grant was scheduled to make $4 million this season and $13 million total for 2011 and 2012.
Given Grants age and the size of his salary, Seattles decision wasnt a complete shock, but Grant said in a phone interview he wasnt expecting it.
“Not really,” Grant said. “I just got the phone call the other day.”
Grant just returned from Hawaii, where he attended meetings held by the NFL Players Association on behalf of his teammates. Now, those are former teammates, and Grant was disappointed, mostly he said because he felt the defense would make strides in a second season under defensive coordinator Gus Bradley.
Instead, Seattle will now look for at least one starting safety. Jordan Babineaux was Seattles other starter last year.
Grant never missed a game in three seasons with Seattle and intercepted eight passes. Grant expressed no hard feelings.
“Me being in it for a minute, you do know that its a business,” Grant said. “I dont have anything bad to say about them. They gave me the opportunity to come here and continue my career.”
Seattle didnt need to be all that worried about losing Tapp, a restricted free agent. The Seahawks would have had the right to match any offer he received or get a second-round pick from the team he signed with.
The Seahawks couldnt be certain they would have Tapp for all offseason activities, though.
They are now. Tapp signed Seattles qualifying offer of $1.176 million Monday. Tapp is a player coach Pete Carroll has repeatedly talked about featuring in the role of a roving pass rusher, and Tapps decision to sign the tender indicates the enthusiasm is mutual.