Live chat with Seahawks Defensive Back Josh Wilson

10:29
Josh Wilson:

What’s up everybody. Thanks for joining us this morning. I’m eating a tuna sandwich after working out. Hit me up with your questions.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:29 Josh Wilson
10:30
[Comment From DukeDuke: ]

Pistol, Welcome and thank you for doing this. I have a couple questions off the top; I wanted to know what you see your role being this year? Do you envision returning kicks still or will you be focusing more on only playing corner? And second; do you see the secondary playing more man and press than zone this year and where do you think your strengths lay, which do you prefer? Thanks again.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:30 Duke
10:32
Josh Wilson:

I’ll be playing corner of course. No. 1 is focusing on playing corner. Returning kicks is always an enjoyable thing for me. Any time I can get my hands on the ball is something I want to. I just want to do whatever Pete has envisioned for me. Just from our last minicamp I think we are going to rely on doing more press. You have things you’re going to do more than others, but we’re going to do both.

But what is my strength. Making plays. But press is good for me because I can use my quickness.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:32 Josh Wilson
10:32
[Comment From champion0445champion0445: ]

How is the defensive scheme this year going to benefit your style of play?

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:32 champion0445
10:32
[Comment From StevoStevo: ]

Hey Josh, Are you working out at VMAC a lot? and what receivers are you working against any receivers regularly? Who is there putting in their work with you?

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:32 Stevo
10:34
Josh Wilson:

Working out pretty much every day here. I’ve actually been working out with Mike Williams a lot. Just about everybody is here working out and trying to win. We don’t have the luxury of sitting out on vacation when you’re 4-12 and 5-11 the last, two years.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:34 Josh Wilson
10:34
[Comment From Snydro81Snydro81: ]

Whats your situation with the ladies? Livin the NFL dream?

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:34 Snydro81
10:35
Josh Wilson:

I’m am happily and newly married. Living the NFL dream is just being in the NFL and having the opportunity to do what I love to do and wear what I want to wear is a dream to me. If I can wear these Jordan jump suits every day, that’s a dream to me. What other job could I do that?

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:35 Josh Wilson
10:35
[Comment From Snydro81Snydro81: ]

Josh, you might be our most well spoken defensive player. Love it whenever you are on Sirius NFL radio. What are your plans post-retirement (i know it’s a loooong way away)..

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:35 Snydro81
10:36
Josh Wilson:

Once I’m done with the NFL I would like to do something with football. That’s all I know. My dad was in the NFL. I grew up around the league. So once I’m done with the NFL, I’ll still be around doing something. I’ve also got my business marketing degree from the University of Maryland, one of the top business school’s in the country.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:36 Josh Wilson
10:37
[Comment From fire38fire38: ]

josh working with big mike ,is it true he’s a brand new person and player

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:37 fire38
10:38
Josh Wilson:

I don’t know what he was like before. I think my rookie year we played him when he was with the Raiders. And he looked like he was a bigger player. But now he’s the hardest worker I know. He’s toned up. And I think he can definitely do something to help this team. He’s out there competing.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:38 Josh Wilson
10:38
[Comment From Allen FAllen F: ]

I love your toughness and competitive fire. I think the biggest chance the Hawks on Defense can make is causing fumbles. The second and third guys into the pile should strip at the ball. I want to see you lead the team in fumbles (strips not hard hits). How much do you guys focus on this in practice?

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:38 Allen F
10:38
Josh Wilson:

That’s everyday that we work on that. No. 1 on the list is getting the ball back.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:38 Josh Wilson
10:39
[Comment From AzulAzul: ]

Josh, Does Pete prefer press coverage over zone? Is the change something pushed by Pete? What are some of the philsophical changes when it comes to secondary play that Pete brings to the table?

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:39 Azul
10:40
Josh Wilson:

Pete Carroll loves defensive backs. That’s his meal ticket. He’s always coming in there. He has a certain way of doing everything. And he loves for us to be competing out there. And the best way to compete is to be in their face. So that’s definitely something he loves to do.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:40 Josh Wilson
10:40
[Comment From MarkMark: ]

Josh, thanks for taking the time to do this. What has been your impression of the new coaches? How are they different from Mora’s staff? Any changes in scheme we should look for? I’d love to see you used in blitzing situations more often…you seem to have a knack at getting to the QB.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:40 Mark
10:42
Josh Wilson:

Yeah, all the way down the line it’s different. Carroll is of course different than Jim Mora, just by his knowledge of winning. He’s just trying to get us to that next level, but I guess for me as a defensive guy. Gus Bradley is the same guy. But going form Tim Lewis to Jerry Gray, who’s a four-time pro bowler. And he knows football. I’ve got a couple friends from the Redskins that just say he is the “Football Czar.”

It’s been fun working with him. He’s already shown he knows a lot about the and about getting us in good situations.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:42 Josh Wilson
10:42
[Comment From DukeDuke: ]

Josh, aside the bigger name receivers, who’s the most underrated wide out you’ve faced?

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:42 Duke
10:44
Josh Wilson:

I would say Deon Butler. I mean you know him, but he’s harder to check than you believe because he’s quick and he’s fast. And if you make one mistake, he’s going to running up the sideline, as the San Francisco 49ers found out.

Fitzgerald is obvious. But actually Steve Breaston is actually harder to check than Fitzgerald because he has the same attributes as Butler, if he gets away from you he’s running up the sideline.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:44 Josh Wilson
10:45
[Comment From HawkfaninMTHawkfaninMT: ]

Iraqi War Vet here!! I heard you went over for a USO trip… It was always great to see players and performers come over and give us a break!

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:45 HawkfaninMT
10:46
Josh Wilson:

Yeah, going over to Iraq was a life-changing experience. So glad I got over the hump and went. It was something that changed my life forever just seeing what you do to sacrifice for us every day. I am Hurt Locker fan.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:46 Josh Wilson
10:46
[Comment From Snydro81Snydro81: ]

Of all the receivers you cover, who gives you the biggest headaches?

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:46 Snydro81
10:46
Josh Wilson:

That one who catches the ball. It doesn’t matter what name is on the back of the jersey. If someone catches the ball, I’m mad.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:46 Josh Wilson
10:47
[Comment From ShaunShaun: ]

As a pro football player, how many hours a day do you workout? What type of cardio workouts do you partake in?

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:47 Shaun
10:48
Josh Wilson:

I’ll say three hours a day. From warming up, we’ve got abs. Speed box drills for foot speed to ladder drills. The core drills. Then we start lifting. And we ran about 14 hills. Welcome to the Army.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:48 Josh Wilson
10:48
[Comment From ShastyShasty: ]

Hey man, you’re easily the most exciting player to watch on defense for me and it will be awesome to see you and Earl Thomas back there this year with a healthy Trufant. What are your first impressions of Earl and do you see your big-play ability in him?

Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:48 Shasty