You had to know that Jacory Harris’ Oakland Raiders overalls Twitpic would have lasting repercussions. It was so horrid and wrong that it completely shut down Twitter. Well, actually, Miami football head coach Randy Shannon, citing the need for fewer distractions, ordered all of his athletes to shut down their Twitter accounts, effective at 2:30 p.m. today. The result was a series of sad farewell tweets by many of the Hurricanes players (some shown following the jump).
But here’s the good news; they can still Facebook!
From the Miami Herald:
“I called coach Shannon, who is out recruiting, and he told me he’s asked players to shut down their Twitter accounts,” UM sports information director Chris Freet said. “The goal is to limit distractions and help them focus. There are bigger goals than Tweeting.”
Here are some of the players’ final Tweets:
* Brandon McGee: “who gonna write my twitter account obituary??? lol” yall holla at me on facebook lol ill be there bean bag chilling Jet living
* Ryan Hill: “I’M SHUTTING DOWN MY TWITTER ACCOUNT IN 5 MIN. I THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND FEEL FREE TO FACEBOOK ME-RYAN HILL. GOD BLESS YOU ALL”
* Damien Berry: “It’s soo hard to say good bye to twitter mane…”
* Lee Chambers: “Twitter it’s been a pleasure. My account will no longer exist after today. Nothing personal, it’s business…..”
* Jordan Futch: “dis my last tweet see yal in da spring.”
So it probably wasn’t Harris who was responsible for the ban, but who knows? My question is, if they can still Facebook, what’s the point?