Seahawks end four-year losing streak in Arizona with 36-18 win

Mike Williams’ 11th catch wasn’t his most important of the game, just the most remarkable. He used one hand, backhanding the ball despite the fact Arizona safety Adrian Wilson was draped on him like a coat.

The catch didn’t decide Seattle’s 36-18 victory over Arizona, it embodied it. This was a game in which Seattle’s offensive production was hard to believe. You had to check twice to make sure it was right.

The Seahawks had managed to score just 10 points the previous two games combined finished with a season-high 36 points and probably should have had more, settling for five Olindo Mare field goals.

Seattle gained fewer than 200 yards in each of its previous two games. The Seahawks had more than 400 yards in the first three quarters alone and finished with the most points they’ve scored in a game this season.

Williams finished with 11 catches for 145 yards, Deon Butler had a 63-yard touchdown catch and linebacker Aaron Curry had two sacks and forced a fumble as the Seahawks ended a four-year losing streak in Arizona.

But this was a game that truly underscored Matt Hasselbeck’s importance to this offense.

Hasselbeck returned from the concussion that kept him out of last week’s game. Then he rallied Seattle from an early seven-point deficit, and finally he came back after an injury to his left wrist forced him to miss the first half of the third quarter and play the rest of the game with a cast.

On a day of comebacks, Seattle’s offense finally came back to life. Seattle completed only two passes of more than 30 yards in its previous four games. The Seahawks had four passes of more than 30 yards in Arizona. Hasselbeck threw for 333 yards, the first time in a year that he surpassed 300 yards passing in a game.

The Seahawks gained 275 yards in the first half and had 17 points. The Seahawks could have kicked a field goal with just over a minute remaining in the second quarter, staked out a double-digit lead and congratulated themselves on a first half that was nothing short of well done.

Instead, Seattle ended up kicking itself after going for it on fourth-and-1 from the Arizona 16 with 1:10 to go. It wasn’t just that Seattle was stopped, the way they were stopped on a quarterback sneak in which Hasselbeck fell short of the marker and suffered an injury to his left wrist.

Charlie Whitehurst ran Seattle’s final play of the first half to run out the clock as Hasselbeck left the field. He did not return to the field until midway through the third quarter with a protective cast on his left wrist.

Whitehurst played two series for Seattle, both times leading the Seahawks into Arizona territory. The first one, however, resulted in an interception when Whitehurst tried to force the ball to a well-covered Ben Obomanu. The Cardinals’ Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie picked off the ball.

Whitehurst’s next possession resulted in a field goal by Olindo Mare. Hasselbeck returned for Seattle’s next possession, led the Seahawks to a field goal and the Seahawks held a double-digit lead the rest of the game.